Serves: 1loaf | Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 5-10mins| Cook Time: 2-2.5hours |Total Time: 26 hours
- 450g Dried Mixed Fruit
- 250g Brown Sugar (soft works best IMO)
- 300ml Strong Black Tea
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 450g Self Raising Flour
This recipe takes a long time so is written in two parts.
- In a large bowl add the sugar, spice and fruit. Pour the strong Black tea, stir and leave for 24 hours.
- Grease and line a bread tin. Pre-heat the oven 170c.
- Pour the beaten egg onto the fruit/tea mix. (the fruit will be syrupy now)
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly. Transfer to the tin.
- Put in the oven for 2-3 hours until the skewer test comes out clean.
I have often split this into two. Instead of putting into one bread tin I put it into two pre-greased round 7inch tins. It works out just as well and cooks in 45mins- an hour.
I have also made this into barabrith muffins. I greased the tray and added the mix in big spoonfuls to it. This bakes in about 25-35mins too.