Serves: 8-10 | Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10mins | Cook Time: 20-25mins |Total Time: 35mins
- 300g Soft Brown sugar (though it’s ok to use other brown sugar)
- 300ml Sunflower oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2tsp Vanilla
- 100g Chopped nuts
- 3 Eggs
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1tsp Ginger
- 300g Peeled carrots
- A squirt of lemon and a little lemon zest.
- Prepare 3 20cm tins. (Grease/Line.)
- Pre-heat oven 170c (fan assisted, 190c for non-fan)
- Put the sugar, eggs and oil into a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients (including the nuts) and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the grated carrots, lemon juice and zest.
- When its mixed together thoroughly pour the mixture into the tins. and cook until golden and bouncy. If your cakes have a wobble on top or the skewer test reveals wet mix on the length of it, then put them back in the oven for a few more minute.
- When cooked place on a cooling rack ready for decorating.
For the Cream cheese frosting click here.
Three tins may seem excessive, but if you do it in less, the cake takes longer to cook and may not be as light and fluffy as you want it. I have tried doing this in one tin and slicing and two tins and neither worked as well as the three tier approach.