Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Easy/Medium
Prep Time: 10 mins* | Cook Time: 30-40 mins |Total Time: 40-50 mins*
- Chicken, either breast or left over from a roast.
- One large onion.
- Half a head of Broccoli.
- Béchamel Sauce or Cheese Sauce depending on your preference.
- You can use other veg such as peas, green peppers or mushrooms, just add them when you put the broccoli in.
- Pastry or 6 Potatoes.
- 75g Grated Cheese.
- Slice your potatoes and par boil them. Look for soft edges but harder centres. Drain them and set to one side.
- Chop your broccoli (and other veg.) And par boil that too. It needs to be in bitesize pieces.
- Dice your onion, lightly fry until tender and then add your cooked chicken.
- Make your sauce up as per the instructions on the links above.
- In an oven proof dish, pop your chicken and veg then cover with half your sauce.
- Layer on the potatoes, pour the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Put it in the oven for 30-40 mins on 180c. (fan 200c non-fan.)
- If you’re going for pastry. Make it as in the link.
- Roll it out to about half a cm to 3/4cm thick.
- Pour all the sauce into the dish of chicken and veg.
- Cover with pastry, crimp the edges and do a couple of slits in the middle.
- Then give it a milk wash (brush milk or beaten egg over the top so that it looks shiny.)
- Put in the oven and cook for 30 mins on 170c (fan 190c non-fan.)
*Prep time is dependant on making the sauces or pastry which of course adds to it.
This is similar to the Chicken layered pie and serve with some good white cabbage. A good meal for a day when you want comfort food.