Serves: 8-10 | Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10mins | Cook Time: 20-25mins |Total Time: 35-40mins
- 225g Softened butter/Margerine
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 4 Medium eggs
- 225g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- Milk (to loosen)
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- Grease/line 2 7inch round tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs, and gradually beat them into the sugar mixture.
- Add the baking powder and salt to the flour.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into your creamed ingredients and fold it in.
- When fully mixed and nice and airy divide between two tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Don’t keep opening the oven door as it will make your cakes sink in the middle, and try to leave the shelves nicely spaced apart so that they both have space and enough heat to rise. Use a skewer when the time is up to make sure the cake is cooked, if no wet mixture sticks to the skewer when you remove it the cake it cooked.
- Leave it to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack. If you do it too soon you’ll either burn yourself or the cake will crumble.
- Decorate when cooled.
A middle for this is butter cream and jam. For butter cream beat warmed butter and icing sugar together and spread on to of one of your cakes. Cover the bottom of the other cake with jam and stack them together. Sieve some icing sugar on top to make it look pretty.